Monday, March 9, 2015

In the past couple of days I've come face-to-face with a couple of conspiracy theories.

First: 911 Truth

What they claim: That the towers came down because of planted bombs and not the planes.  There was a massive cover-up.

When you present contrary data they: Claim the sources can't be trusted because they are either stupid or part of the conspiracy.

Protandim

What they claim: This pill you can buy for $45 a month can cure a variety of things the least of which is aging. They say the pills will reduce "oxidative stress" by 40% within 30 days." This is measured by a blood test that looks at a thing called TBARS (thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances). It does apprently work to lower this marker. But is questionable how much lowering this value effects your health. There are studies - but I can't find one that links health benefits to protandim in human beings.  There is one for mice though...

When you present contrary data they: Any criticism is arranged by the big pharmaceutical companies because they are terrified Protandim is going to cut into their business.  Also, I took protandim for a year and it did nothing for me but relieve me of about $500.  Both the company (when I called to cancel) and local protandim converts say the same thing:  "You won't know what the benefits are until you stop taking it and bad things happen."

Really??? So if I take it and good things happen, then protandim is great.  If I stop taking it and bad things happen protandim is great.  Oh and if I hear anything negative it's the drug company conspiracy.

This is the problem with conspiracy theories:  By their nature they reject any evidence contrary to what the theory holds.  If you find contrary evidence, then you have simply uncovered more evidence of the conspiracy.


I find it incredibly disturbing that intelligent people fall for this crap.  Don’t get me started on Obama birthers and climate change and evolution deniers!

No comments:

Post a Comment