Thursday, February 26, 2015

I wasn't sure i was going to write about this but I just made up my mind.  I just had  bariatric surgery this week. I had a "Gastric Sleeve" procedure which is simple, yet dramatic.  They go in and remove 85% of your stomach and staple up what's left.

I'm 55 years old 5'10" and just weighed in at 290 pounds and have been diagnosed  with Type 2 Diabetes and Hypertension.  I have tried weight loss programs several time where I have been successful in taking of as much as 60 pound at a time only to gain it back plus more over time.

Having someone cut into your body and remove the majority of a major critical organ is pretty damn extreme.  I saw my future and it was grim and I was determined to do something about it once and for all and decided this is what will give me the best chance of sustained change in the weight, eating and exercise.

Ready for the next shocker?  I had it in Tijuana, Mexico at the Mexican Bariatric Center.  Not only does my insurance not cover bariatric  procedures it expressly forbids them.  I guess they would prefer to pay the ongoing costs of my hypertension and diabetes.

The cost of my surgery including airfare and a really nice hotel was $4,708.  No kidding.  That was everything including tax.

My surgeon has done of 2500 of these procedures and in 2014 boasted no complications - zero.  The entire time I felt like I was being waited on in a 5 star hotel.

My surgery happened early Tuesday afternoon and today is Thursday at 10 am and I am plain and discomfort free.  The day of surgery there was some pain associated with my drain but it was bearable and totally relived once it was removed.

I ran into several people working down here that had the surgery a few years ago and they all seem thrilled.

I am on a clear liquid diet for the next week and then thicker mixed concatenations the following week and then on to solid foods.  I will keep updating here.

1 comment:

  1. Nice description, Rob. Can I share this with cousin Charlie. We were just speaking today.

    ReplyDelete