Saturday, February 28, 2015

RESEARCH

If you're curious about what I looked at you can trace my steps on Google Scholar - there are many academic studies that do not require you to purchase them to see the results.  Gastric Sleeve is both the simplest and most effect surgery for BMI's with an average close to 45. According to the Mayo clinic the recommended BMI is 40 or higher the exception being 35-39.9 where there is also hypertension, type 2 diabetes or sleep apnea.  My BMI was 41.6 and have been diagnosed with both hypertension and type 2 diabetes and I do have minor symptoms of sleep apnea.

The evidence of improvement or resolving diabetes is very strong as with the sleep apnea.  There is moderate evidence that it improves hypertension.

There is also the "theory" that gastric sleeve surgery changes hunger by removing the part of the stomach that produces the hormone Ghrelin which regulates the sensation of hunger.  I say "theory" because there are plenty of patients that report a return of the old hunger after a couple of years.  I suspect that early on the body is not able to produce this hormone but eventually the body learns and adapts and re-establishes the ability to produce the correct amounts.  I consider this phenomenon to be a bonus head-start for me to learn the habit of eating less, better food.

So the surgery for me is a drastic assist for me to establish a healthier relationship with my body.  I have been a faithful 3 hour per week student of yoga - but no matter how long I practice there are certain limits my size places on me.  I enjoy yoga and I want to enjoy it more.

I'm also pretty lucky that I live with my brother and he has an amazing, large garden filled with all kinds of fruits and vegetables.  This year he even has bees.

It doesn't take much research to find out that many of the sleeve patients have a weight gain around the two year mark. Proof that old underlying cases of obesity cannot not be removed with a surgical instrument.  As a mental health therapist I know the size of the mental, emotional and spiritual transition I must purse to make a life lasting change.

No comments:

Post a Comment